Tornado of Learning/OG
|Tornado of Learning|
|Contributors||Takashi Iba, Toko Miyake, Miyuko Naruse, Natsumi Yotsumoto|
|Last modification||May 17, 2017|
|Source||Iba, Miyake, Naruse & Yotsumoto (2009); Iba (2010)|
|Pattern formats||OPR Alexandrian|
When you are studying
When you are reading a book
When you are making research
When you want to do something in your own way
You can just accumulate knowledge, but cannot learn to deepen your critical mind and interests.
- • Human don't percept all information in the world but do a part selectively.
- • People tend to be bored with reading or listening that is one-way.
- • Since lectures and books don't give the exact knowledge for each learner, they have to look for the connection with their own interests.
- • People can understand a new thing deeply when it is connected with the knowledge they have already had.
Grab knowledge in connection with your interest like 'tornado' of learning.
- • First, think about what your interest is. That will be the origin of “tornado of learning”.
- • Choose classes or books, comparing with your interest. You can have some interests at this point.
- • Do NOT just stay there and receive information. Be aggressive to grab it. When you take notes and read books, focus on what you think important.
- • Do NOT just store the given knowledge. Mix them up and find connections among the knowledge. Write your ideas on notebooks or books as you are reading
A piece of information becomes a piece of related information. That helps you grasp a total comprehension. You can improve a sense of catching information.
Mikio is interested in social simulation, so he took classes about not only programming but also sociology or philosophy. But he hardly understands deeply about all of them. He thought that was not so good, so he decided to make efforts to learn new things with checking and comparing with his interest.
After that, he became able to “grab” new information with connecting his own knowledge. This led him manage to see a phenomena from many aspects, and it is good for his skill for making a model of social simulation.
People bring themselves to study hard to acquire the knowledge in need. That is because people collect information voluntary to achieve your goal, and relate it with other knowledge for effective use. is one of the practical activities based on this pattern. Also, it is important for to choose a theme that you have . Asking someone to be taught makes you a .
- Iba, T., Miyake, T., Naruse, M., & Yotsumoto, N. (2009).Learning patterns: A pattern language for active learners. In Proceedings of the 16th Conference on Pattern Languages of Programs (PLoP 2009).
- Patlet mentioned in Iba, T. (2010). Designing a Pattern Language for Creative Learners.